Hi! I'm η (eta), a hobbyist programmer, (very) occasional blog post writer, and free software enthusiast. If you're reading this site, you should probably stay away from any blog posts that aren't about programming, if you value your sanity.
I tend to tinker around with various programming and systems-administration tasks in my free time, writing small applications to get things done (like chatbots, utilities to bridge different communication media together, and scripts to automate boring tasks). When I'm not doing that, I usually have a big project to work on - currently, that's osm-signal (it was SQA earlier, but progress on that one slowed down after rewriting the whole thing). The idea is to experiment with more large-scale, innovative ideas, learning the technologies needed to complete such a project.
Anyway, here are some lists of blog posts and projects to stop you wading through this somewhat waffly prose. Feel free to contact me using the links at the bottom of the page if you have questions, comments, or just want to say hi!
'recent' blog posts (see all)
- osm-signal - An experimental project to work out level crossing opening times, using Network Rail's open data. 2018-07-19
- tildetown_usersjson - A simple Rust script to collect metadata about users on the tilde.town intentional digital community. 2018-07-08
- sms-irc - An application to bridge SMS messages through to IRC, using a USB 3G modem. The spiritual successor of matrix-appservice-sms. 2018-06-29
- huawei-modem - An in-development AT modem library for Rust, allowing developers to send and receive SMS messages. 2018-06-29
- mx-xkcd-ng - A hastily-assembled Matrix chatbot that pulls comics from xkcd, amongst other things. 2018-05-29
- matrix-appservice-sms - A single-user Matrix.org Application Service (AS) that bridges SMS messages through to Matrix, using a USB 3G modem. 2018-05-29
- Glitch in the Matrix - A series of matrix.org bindings for Rust. 2018-05-29
- SQA - An audio application for live theatre productions, written in Rust. 2017-11-18
- unbounded-gpsd - A basic Rust gpsd library that communicates with gpsd over the network. 2017-06-30
- devilish-d20 - A Matrix chatbot to play D&D. (Hacky, but kind of works...) 2017-04-07
- inebriated - A Markov chains chatbot, implemented in many different languages. 2016-02-27
- Ultimate Wolfgame - (old, abandoned) An implementation of the popular party game Werewolf. 2015-11-14
- capybara - (old, abandoned) A small program to display a desktop toolbar, written in C. 2015-08-03
- [also see github]
- I'm an avid Rustacean (i.e. user of the Rust programming language), and program mainly in that.
- I also know a fair amount of C, although this has likely deteriorated given disuse.
- Web design, I guess? I mean, I know enough to get by, although I wouldn't exactly call this website a masterpiece. (It also is just a heavily modified version of the jekyll templates...)
- At least this iteration of the website doesn't use 3 different external libraries, like the previous one did.